Drishyam 2: A sequel which is actually better than the first movie!!

In probably one of the most tense first scenes I have watched, the sequel takes off from the same time and space as the original. Part 1 was released in 2013 and the sequel came in 2021 (bummer as it was released on OTT platforms, rather than the big screen), and in the movie too, the characters have gone through a similar number of years. The kids have grown up. George Kutty is now a theater owner and producer. He seems to be working on a movie script for a long time. Folks in town are still talking about him.. Trailer. 

Source

While part 1 concluded with a glimpse of what might actually be going on, one would think that Drishyam 2 isn't really required, as part 1's ending satisfied everyone. The legacy of a great movie would have stayed on. BUT the makers decided that they have to continue the storyline. And it is a brave decision indeed, given the stature of the first part. And we all know how sequels turn out. So actually thinking about it, everything seems foolhardy. Why spoil everything by taking a chance? I think this is what is called as confidence.

When the sequel was announced, I'm sure everyone expected the cops to eventually close in on George Kutty and family, one way or the other. The movie flows in the direction you predict, but I don't think anyone can predict the plot, ever. The script is mind - blowing, and the thrill was even more than what I felt during part 1. I mean, I cannot even fathom how such a story was conceived. It's totally next - level. At the moment the only parallels I can think of is Upendra or Christopher Nolan. This is fantastic storytelling.

Source

The new characters introduced play major parts in this movie, and layer by layer, the plot is unveiled. This is a tense movie! The craziness reaches a crescendo during the final act of the movie, when everything is revealed, and I took a few hours to digest everything, frankly speaking. The insane part is, I hear part 3 is in the works. I cannot even guess what is being conceived there.

In this movie you have to pay a lot of attention to the minute details and what's actually going on. I'm notorious for not doing so, diligently so I had to stop and ask home minister to explain 😃. While most of the cast remains the same, there are a few new characters woven into the story. IG Thomas Bastin (Murali Gopy) is one of them who I have to mention because of his tremendous acting. 

If you really want to see what "thrilling" means, then do not miss this movie.

What are your thoughts about this movie?

(Thanks, Krips, for the insights and for proofreading ;) )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

K.G.F movie- A fantastic cinema experience!

Love mocktail: Kannada movie review

My sassy girl: movie review